Tuesday, November 27, 2012

C4T #4

Tina Barseghian
Visit Her Blog - Mind Shift: How We Will Learn

"MindShift explores the future of learning in all its dimensions – covering cultural and technology trends, groundbreaking research, education policy and more. The site is curated by Tina Barseghian, a journalist and the mother of a grade-schooler."

For part one of my C4T Assignment #4, I posted a comment to Tina Barseghian's post from November 13, 2012 "Quick Look: Bringing Together Big Thinkers at the Big Ideas Fest". This post is about the Big Ideas Fest that takes place every year in Northern California. Educators, students, entrepreneurs, policy makers, and many others come together to discuss big ideas related to education. At the Big Ideas Fest, they can work together to come up with solutions and strategies for redesigning the future of education. This year it is being held December second through the fifth at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay. You can find more information at www.bigideasfest.org. She also provided the link for those who want to register.

For my comment, I wrote to Mrs. Barseghian that I have found MindShift to be a great resource. She has great ideas, and I respect her opinions. Also, I have never heard of the Big Ideas Fest before now. I guess that could be due to the fact that I live in Alabama, and the event is held in California. I commented that I think this would be such a great event to attend, especially as a student. There will be so many education experts there, and it would be a great way to meet people who could possibly become a part of my PLN. Since I will not be able to attend, I wrote to her that I hope she will post information about what takes place! Lastly, I thanked her for the information and links she provided about the event.

After I posted a comment to Mrs. Barseghian's post, I recieved an email from Mrs. Weiss. She is the project manager of the research and education programs for the Institute for the Study of Knowledge Management in Education (ISKME). She told me that Mrs. Barseghian from Mindshift let her know that I was interested in attending Big Ideas Fest on scholarship. She sent me a link to the scholarship application so that I could fill it out and return it to her. Although, I do think it would be a great opportunity, I had to decline due to exams on the days of the Big Ideas Fest. I did think it was really cool that she offered me this opportunity. That just shows how a little technology and communication can be very beneficial.


For part two of my C4T Assignment #4, I posted a comment to Tina Barseghian's post from November 27, 2012 "Physics in the Hands of a Seven-Year-Old". This post was about a seven year old boy named Audri who made a Rube Goldberg machine with pencils, marbles, a toaster, books, pen tips, a paper roll, and a wine glass. You can view the video of his chain reaction machine HERE! Mrs. Barseghian wrote that Audri wants to study robotics at MIT and eventually become a theoretical physicist. This video definitely shows the ingenuity of kids and what they have the potential to do. The video OK GO’s This Too Shall Pass inspired him to create his machine.

I commented on the post about how much I loved this video. I used to love doing things like that when I was little with my twin brother. Our little contraptions were on a much smaller scale, but we used to line up the dominoes and other household items, too. I know this little guy has a great future ahead of him! He is super creative. I thanked Mrs. Barseghian for sharing this video.

1 comment:

  1. Next time you get an offer like that make it happen!

    Sounds like you had a winner. Well done.

    ReplyDelete