Thursday, November 1, 2012

Blog Assignment 10

John T. Spencer
Visit His Blog Adventures in Pencil Integration

I'm a Papermate. I'm a Ticonderoga.
cartoon

This cartoon by John T. Spencer is a mock of the I'm a Mac and I'm a PC commercials.
If you have not seen them, you can CLICK HERE to see the I'm a Mac and I'm a PC commercials. I personally own a PC because I can not afford a Mac. I do not really have an opinion on which one is better than the other. I am just thankful that I own a laptop. I take care of it and try to use what it offers to the best of my ability. I guess if I had the money and was trying to decide whether to get a Mac or a PC, then I would form an opinion and see which one would offer the things I use most. Since that is not really an option for me, I will just stick to my PC and be happy!

I do think that EDM310 has been helpful in that I can learn about the Mac and the associated programs by going to the lab. I would not have had the opportunity, since I do not own a Mac, to learn about the things that Mac's offer. I am definitely grateful for the lab! Oh, I am grateful for the lab assistants, too!

Why Were Your Kids Playing Games? by John T. Spencer
View Post Here

In this post, Mr. Spencer writes a set of dialogue about being called into the Principal's office. He gets in trouble for allowing his students to play games in the classroom. The principal has no tolerance for this and tells him he needs to prepare his students with rote memorization. Mr. Spencer tries to explain that the games were engaging the students and helping them connect to what they were learning. He even adds that soldiers play games and doctors do simulations as a part of their education.

The fact about this is that their will be teachers, principals, administrators, etc. who believe in what Dr. Strange calls the "Burp-Back" method. They fill the students' heads with loads of information, get them to memorize it, then have them burp it back up on tests, and afterwards they forget everything they learned (no memorized). Educators need to realize that the real way students learn the material is by getting engaged and relating the material to themselves in some way. Practice makes perfect, right? Why are we having our students practice memorizing? So they can be perfect at memorizing? That should not be the wanted outcome. We should want students to truly learn, and through games not only can they have engaged learning, they also have fun and enjoy learning.

Now, I do want to make a point about games. I have been in classrooms where the teacher allows the children to goof off and play games that have absolutely no relation to learning. I am not supporting that. I think those teachers need to ask themselves why they are teaching in the first place if they are not even willing to put in the effort for their students to learn. There is a difference between games that promote learning and games that promote occupying the students with no productive reason.

Avoid Social Networking by John T. Spencer
View Post Here

I found this post very interesting. It was about the district office HR representative explaining at a staff meeting that teachers have to avoid any site that allows for social networking with the students. The teachers were bringing up points where they often see students. For example, volunteering in a church youth group, running into students at the grocery store, coaching a baseball team, a family friend of a student, etc. The representative was pretty much telling them that they cannot interact with a student at all outside of school. It is sad that there has been enough inappropriate things happen that it would come to this, but it is so true that teachers have to be careful when it comes to relationships with the students. Now, I think the representative was taking it way too far in this case. I think students need to have relationships with their students because like one of the teachers Mrs. Jackson says, "It seems that the best way to model appropriate adult behavior is to interact with kids and be a positive role model." I feel like you have to have a relationship with your students to really invest in their educational journey.

Don’t teach your kids this stuff. Please? by Scott McLeod
View Post Here
Click Here to learn about Scott McLeod.

Mr. McLeod's point in this post was to say go ahead and keep your kids away from the new technologies. His will use them and have an even bigger advantage over yours. I loved the sarcasm and agree with him on the importance of teaching our kids about technology. Technology is an avenue for kids to create, learn, and share. It would be harmful to keep them completely away from it. I think it is a good idea for parents to monitor what their children are doing on the internet, though. The internet is a great place for learning when used properly, but it is also a place filled with things that kids do not need to get involved with. I think it would be a good idea for parents to talk to their children about the positives and negatives of the internet, but that means parents have to be technologically literate so that they know what those positives and negatives are.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alison,
    Very well written post. I found your take on the cartoon insightful. I didn't take it as a challenge to the teachers capability to use the equipment available to them. I read it as our need as educators to be capable of helping students from either side of the spectrum to achieve their full potential. I also have to respectfully disagree with you about the "Please don't teach this to your kids" post. I feel like the sarcasm is a little counter productive. He also seems a little arrogant about his own teaching and students rather than trying to help everybody. I read it as being unwilling to work with and pull others up to the same level, he is just leaving them behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison,

    You have developed a well written blog post. You understood the metaphor of the cartoon and the fact that we need to focus on skills other than memorization in the classroom. Good job!

    ReplyDelete